How to master the bebop language and create your own language? Follow these 5 steps when you practice:
- Play the example provided below as a pdf part, transposed for your instrument. You can use the track I recorded to play along with me or play on your own using the play along track. You might have to jump up or down an octave to play in a comfortable register on your instrument. Be sure to pay special attention to the feel and timing of your playing.
- Choose your favorite fragments of the solo example. Write them down or remember them.
- Every time you practice this jazz-standard, play only these fragments and litterally the same.
- If you master this, try to incorporate these fragments in the rest of your improvisation. Feel free to vary the fragment. Stretch it up, make it shorter, or vary rhythmically.
- Develop your own ideas with the standard licks of “talking bebop”.
Good luck and happy practicing. Enjoy exploring your inner music!